Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Benchwork

Turning my attention to planning the benchwork, I had an idea of what I would like to build.  I envisioned a simple wood open grid frame with a thin layer of plywood on top, and a layer of pink insulation foam on top of that. The sides would be covered with Masonite or luan plywood to give it a nice, finished appearance.

One of the perennially frustrating aspects of being an American living in Bahrain is that you can't simply run down to Home Depot and get what you need to build a simple project like this. For some reason, DIY isn't really a thing in the Middle East, so finding stuff like lumber and building supplies is a real challenge. Bringing this kind of stuff back from my upcoming trip to the US wasn't really an option because of its size, so I knew whatever I was going to use for benchwork, I had to find locally.

The one store I thought might have what I needed was inconveniently located at least a 45-minute drive away in heavy traffic, and there just never seemed to be a good time to attempt a trip there. Fortunately, scrounging around our storage room at home turned up just what I needed: some under-layout shelving I built for my HO layout that I had shipped with our household goods from the US but wasn't able to use in our current apartment.

The shelves consisted of a couple of thin 2'x4' loose plywood sheets that sat on top of simple 1"x3" frames that I screwed to the layout benchwork. This was a perfect start! Based on what I had on hand and the space I expected to be available at the event, I quickly determined the optimal layout size would be 2'x4' (which then dictated the track configuration and the specific Unitrack set I needed to order from the online hobby shop). I then set about cannibalizing the storage shelves to make the benchwork for the Shinkansen layout.

The two pieces of plywood are behind one of the frames on the right. The other frame has already been dismantled, and its pieces are on the left.

When I originally made the shelves, I had to trim 6" off the end of each sheet of plywood to fit my HO layout benchwork. I hated to give up any more straightaway track on the Shinkansen layout than necessary, so I decided to stick with a 2'x4' overall size. To keep the 4' length, I had to cut a 6" strip off the end of one of the sheets of plywood. I had also originally rounded the front corners on each piece of plywood, so the finished Shinkansen benchwork has a few of these funky quarter-round gaps in the plywood surface.

Somehow I ended up with two different thicknesses of plywood (of course!). To keep weight down, I used the full section of the thinner piece to cover most of the area, and cut the 6" make-up strip off the thicker piece. To keep the plywood surfaces even with each other, I trimmed off just a smidgen from the top edge of the frame under the thicker section.

Soon enough, I had the benchwork assembled. I really wanted to top it with a layer of foam, because one of the scenery elements I was hoping to include was a bridge going over a shallow valley of rice paddies. I never found the time to go to that local hardware store, so I had to give up on that idea and settle for the flat plywood surface. Maybe I can still include some rice paddies, just without the bridge 😞

Also, I was never able to get hold of any Masonite or luan plywood trim for the sides, so they ended up being covered by nothing more than a coat of paint.

Top view of the finished "benchwork" after a coat of latex house paint (a sample size can from Lowe's that I brought back from the US). Notice the seam between the two pieces of plywood on the left side.

Underside of the finished and painted benchwork. The seam between the two pieces of plywood runs directly above the "double joist" on the left side.