Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Initial Preparations

I immediately knew the basics of what I wanted to build - a simple small oval of track with a Shinkansen model running around it. The "layout" itself would be a small portable flat surface that we could set up on top of a table.

The purpose of the layout is to showcase Japan, so I had several ideas of scenery elements I wanted to include on it. After a brief discussion and brainstorming session with my wife, I decided to go with a double-sided display with a scenery divider lengthwise down the middle of the layout. Half of the layout would depict Tokyo and city scenery, and on the other side would be a more rural setting with cherry trees in full blossom and Mt. Fuji as a backdrop.

First things first, I knew I had to order the actual model train and track ASAP if it was going to get to Bahrain in a timely manner. I quickly learned that the only place you can get a Shinkansen at a reasonable price is from Japan itself. A quick eBay search turned up a complete 4-unit set at a decent price and included expedited shipping to the US. My upcoming business trip to the US happened to be in the area where my family lives, so I was able to have it shipped to them so I could pick it up while I was in town. Meanwhile, I also ordered a Kato Unitrack V5 set from an online hobby shop in the US, and it arrived in Bahrain before I returned.

I made a list of other supplies I needed, and gathered what I could locally, then picked up the rest during my trip to the US.